background behind the research
Taking Neutrophils to their Limit
• Neutrophils, a type of immune cell, are well known for their role in fighting pathogens
• In addition, neutrophils have been found to be involved in many inflammatory disorders such as in arthritis, certain cancers, diabetes, and even in responses against biomaterial implants
Questions we ask about their roles include:
1. How quickly are they produced by the body in response to an inflammatory stimulus?
2. What happens when the body faces two inflammatory disorders simultaneously?
3. How do opportunistic pathogens overcome neutrophil action?
Contribute towards understanding neutrophil actions in diseased conditions so new therapeutics may be developed.
Time-frame: Basic research with open goals and time-frames.